Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 47

This
This is my friend Big Jim; Memorial Day, 2008. He works as a security guard at different sites around Metro Detroit. This site is at the corner of W. Jefferson and Dragoon St. in Detroit, about a mile from the Ambassador Bridge to Canada. Once a thriving neighborhood, with people employed at local industrial sites or in supporting businesses like restaurants or bars, now mostly home to folks on assistance; Section 8 rentals and food stamps. Most nights there are a few cars flying by at 60+ mph on the 30 mph street, and four or five people on bicycles, bound for rendezvous unknown. We set up our Memorial Day barbeque at 2 am right on the sidewalk. No one cares or notices.
I added the above as an explanation as to why on day 47, I yet again got nothing done. I went to Jim's house after the dentist this morning at 11:30 am to bring him my fish tank. But HE's the kind of person who won't let you leave. After an hour or so, I said, "what time do you have to go to bed?" Jim works 11pm to 7 am so has to sleep during the day. He says " In about an hour." Perfect, I've got a couple things to do, so we'll hang out and drink coffee till 12:30, then I'll take off. But no it doesn't ever work that way. At 2:30, two hours later, I make a move to get going. "Hey where are you going?" OK, fine. Now it's 3:30, better get going..., OK says Jim, just let me lock up the back porch then I'll walk out with you to your car. 1/2 hour later at 4 pm I'm driving away. He has to get up at 9:00 pm to get ready for work so now he's got 5 hours to sleep, I dont know how he does it.
Anyway the above is my perfect excuse for getting nothing done on day 47.

No comments:

Post a Comment